Image Map

Monday, March 17, 2014

A green recipe...in honor of St. Paddy's day

Since I'm quite old now and not indulging in green beer today, I still wanted to be a little festive and whip up a different kind of green drink.  This drink is perfectly healthy and won't leave you with a hangover the next morning (don't be fooled though, it's is not nearly as fun as green beer).

Most of you by now have either tried or seen a green smoothie but I thought I'd share my own take on how I make it.  Unfortunately a lot of the recipes I see around the net while healthy, are actually packed with extra calories and act more like a meal replacement rather than an afternoon beverage.  So here's one you can enjoy guilt free without giving up your dinner.

Here's all you will need.....



First I add 3/4 - 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.  This particular one by silk is flavored with vanilla but still only has 35 calories for 1 cup.  

Next I add 2 huge handfuls of spinach and / or kale, whatever I usually have in the fridge at the time.  The blender is usually 3/4 full at this time.  Then I blend the mixture until the spinach / kale is nice and smooth.  




Next I'll throw in a 1/2 a banana (either fresh or frozen) and blend.  Then I'll throw in about a 1/2 cup of frozen fruit.  Again, whatever I have in the freezer at that time.  Today I used mango pieces.  The frozen fruit helps make the smoothie extra cold and a little creamier. 

Lastly I throw in about a scoop of protein powder and either flax or chia seeds for extra fiber and omega 3's.



Depending on the fruit you use, this smoothie probably has less than 200 calories total.  It's 100% healthy and very delicious!!!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment