Image Map

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The terrible twos.

The terrible two's are kicking my butt.  Like daily.  

When Nathan turned two in June I kept waiting for "it" to start...you know, the tantrums, defiance, etc.  I kept thinking to myself, "this age is actually pretty easy...what's all this fuss about".  Well, then November came and it happened.  My little angel became a terrible.  And let me tell you, it's an ass kicker.  Like a swift kick in the head.  The constant fighting, the "NO's", the never listening, defiance, testing limits, tantrums, all seem to surface in the evening (and anytime we're trying to leave the house).

And everyday it's the same fight....
"No mommy, not that. Nathan wear Thomas t-shirt to school" (he still refers to himself in the 3rd person).
"Stop Mommy, Nathan brush teeth"
"No mommy, shoes are too tight"
"Mommy put on _______" (enter anything that we're asking him to try and help put on).

And from me...
"Nathan, we need to change your diaper"...followed by..."NOOOOOO"
"Nathan, stop pushing the dog"....then, "NOOOOOOO"
"Nathan, it's time to get ready for school"....and...."NOOOOO"
"Nathan, it's bath time.....again...."NOOOOOO"

And, you get the picture.



I feel like we're constantly battling with him.  We've run out of effective ways to punish him.  I mean, the kid sometimes will ask to go time out.  Seriously.  Seriously.  Whoever came up with that "punishment" didn't have a 2 1/2 year old.

But, it's not all bad.  I'm not here to scare anyone.  The terrible twos are also amazing in a lot of ways.

It's amazing to watch your child learn and soak up every little thing.  The kid has an amazing memory and is constantly surprising us.  He can tell me everyone's eye color in his classroom.  It's pretty incredible.

It's amazing to actually hear him have a conversation with you now.  He can tell me about his day at school, his likes and dislikes.  And his negotiating skills are superb.  He must get that from his daddy.


Another great thing about two year olds...they sleep.  And you can sleep too.  We're rediscovering this perk now that we have a 6 week old.

They're independent.  And they can help (granted, it's usually on their terms).

And the best part of all is when they wrap their little arms around you and tell you that they love you.  Seems to wipe away all of those "terribles", and make your heart just melt.  I wouldn't trade those moments for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment