Monday, February 3, 2014

Recipe: Thai Quinoa Salad

What better way to start a Monday than with a healthy new recipe to keep you motivated through the week.

Recently the hubs and I have been on a little health-kick.  We've jumped on the clean eating band wagon and we're really trying to stick with it.  However, we also stick to the 80/20 rule (you know, 80% of the time we eat healthy and the other 20% we indulge a little).  That way, we still allow some room for wine (always room for wine), chips, ice cream etc.  It's also great timing since I'm trying to lose some of that extra baby weight in time for our beach vacay in April.

So while stalking pinterest for some clean eating recipes I found this little gem.....Thai Quinoa salad (from Tastes better from Scratch).

And let me tell you this one is amazing.  The hubs couldn't keep his hands off it.

Ingredients: 

1  cup  red cabbage ( shredded ) 
1  bell peppers ( red, diced ) 
3/4  cup quinoa, uncooked
1/2  red onion ( diced ) 
1  cup carrots ( shredded ) 
1  cup edamame   <--------I used chick peas
1/2  cup cashews ( halved (or roasted peanuts) ) 
1/2  cup cilantro ( chopped ) <-------- I didn't have this
1/4  cup green onion ( diced ) <------I didn't have this













Dressing:

1/4 cup peanut butter ( creamy or crunchy ) <------I used all natural smooth PB
2  teaspoons ginger ( freshly grated )
3  tablespoons soy sauce <------I used the low sodium kind
1  tablespoon honey
1  tablespoon red wine vinegar
1  teaspoon sesame oil
1  teaspoon olive oil
1  teaspoon sriracha
water ( to thin if necessary )

Directions:

Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.  Let cool for 10+ minutes.  Warm the peanut butter and honey for 20 seconds and stir.  Add the remaining ingredients for the dressing.  I had to use a little water to make it thinner.

Add about half the dressing to the quinoa.  Add remaining ingredients and fold in.  Then add the desired amount of dressing (I used about 3/4 of it).





Unfortunately my photography skills are crap and this picture doesn't do it justice.  But take my word that this is a must try.

No comments:

Post a Comment